July 16th – July 27th 2018
Midwest Culture Experiences
Campers will enhance language ability and cultural awareness through local field trips and activities designed for interaction and education about the history and culture of America’s Heartland Frontier.
Old meets new at St. John’s American Midwest Culture Camp. Campers will get to step back in time to the Old West and have Sasparillas at the notorious Long Branch Saloon and watch world famous gunfighters face off on Front Street in Boot Hill. They will discover the wide-open prairie at the end of the Chisholm Trail on the Abilene Smoky Valley Railroad train ride and visit the childhood home of President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
After meeting cowboys of the past, campers will get to see them in action in the modern age at the Kansas State Rodeo, visit with American farmers at a county fair, and get up close and personal with buffalo.
We’ll learn about the past present and future of space exploration at the Kansas Cosmosphere and visit one of the nation’s top aviation colleges- all while staying physically fit, and learning English!
Campers will get a military haircut upon arrival and learn basic marching and military drill and ceremony and participate in daily exercise.
$1800 includes all meals, field trips, uniform, and transportation to and from Wichita/Salina airports.
ScheduleDownload Schedule – English
Download Schedule – Chinese
- Goals of the program:
- Effective conversational/social functioning in an English environment
- Increased academic vocabulary and increased overall fluency
- Progressive success in skills regarding conceptual depth versus grammatical correctness
- Gain an understanding of American Midwest Culture
- Students not Participating in the ESL program will have an opportunity to learn a variety of additional skills, including Leadership and American History
- Classroom activities may include:
- Coxhead Academic Vocabulary (words used in most classrooms)
- Reader’s Theater
- Messenger Scribe Game (Running Dictation)
- Word Wall Activities (word sorts, matches)
- Daily Journal Writing
- Photo Stories
- Simple Cooking
- Create Storyboards
- Venn Diagrams
- Reading Comprehension
- Physical activities may include:
- High Ropes/ Confidence Course
- Weight Room Training
- Rifle Training
- Climbing and Repelling Tower
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Obstacle Course
- Social activities may include:
- Ice Cream Social
- Marshmallow Toast
- Social Skills Course
- Recreational Time
Education Agents, please contact Melissa about additional options.
Director of International Admissions
– WeChat: mlmccoy2
– WhatsApp: +1.785.829.7889
– Skype: MelissaInternational8
– WhatsApp: +1.785.822.7029
Yo hablo español.
Sinuo (Snow) Song
– WeChat: ssn1140692790